Founder . Entrepreneur . International Makeup Artist
The Chic Studios brand was created out of a desire to develop a school that offered professional training, resources and the tools necessary to help makeup artists launch into a successful career. Amy began her career in Canada, refining her knowledge and trade-skills, arriving at advance principles in makeup artistry techniques.
Amy has been a valuable expert in leading beauty events in New York City, Los Angeles, and Canada working with top models and celebrities! Additionally, Amy has lent her expertise to broadcast realms and multiple designer fashion shows.
- Born in a small town in Canada, in the middle of nowhere, with some of the coldest winter days! (-40 degrees)
- Has over 60+ first cousins
- Moved away for college at 18, first career goal was to be a Paramedic.
- After receiving a soccer scholarship, inspiration led me to change college goals and attend Business School.
- Young 20’s Dream – to own a beauty studio to do makeup on clients and celebrities
- Young 30’s Dream – to teach makeup to others, open up a school
- Passionate about travel
- Favorite places traveled: Barcelona, Italy + London
- Desired places I have yet to see: France, Greece + Africa
- Light candles every day
- Listen to country music
- Favorite beauty product… skincare! (followed closely by color anything!)
Getting to Know Amy
1. You’re a mommy… what is the one thing you wished you were prepared for?
I embrace all that comes, it’s not easy at all, the one thing I have learned more than prepared for, is to ask for help.
2. What do you do to find solitude amongst chaos?
Ah, that’s an easy one, girls night, a night out where I can just laugh, catch up with great friends and have a glass of wine (or two).
3. Balance… what does that mean to you?
It means, to me, being able to feel a sense of calmness most days. I feel imbalanced when I am in a state of constant stress. When that happens, I take a me day – I get a massage or acupuncture and do lunch alone.
4. How much do you have to commit to your passion vs. taking care of family?
I have and continue to commit more physical time to my passion/career. I am with my family laser focused with them on the weekends and evenings. I sleep 7-8 hours a day, I work 8-12+ hours (depending what is in the mix, honestly, sometime more than that, it’s crazy, but I absolutely love every second).
5. How does your your family react to your commitment to work?
They do not know any different, I have always been this way. I love what I do. I do it for them in some regards as well.
A Chic Timeline
Love for makeup, educating myself in artistry, business and the beauty industry (3 trips to NYC, Miami, San Diego, and eventually moving to LA in 2008)
Move to NYC (insert boyfriend/now husband), didn’t want to start all over again building clients that I spent 12+ months working on
January, coffee with an old friend (celebrity hairstylist/salon owner in NYC) offered to hire me as a freelance makeup artist, but said, very seriously and clearly ‘You don’t really want to do that, do you? Focus on what you DO want!’
2009, January – March
With Husband’s support and rave reviews – Chic Studios School of Makeup started!
Test run curriculum, classroom set up
Official: First Chic Studios makeup class (3 students) second class (2 students) third class (4 students **which was the max with this space) and for the rest of 2009 classes were full.
New: Manhattan, Chic NYC location
Official: NYSED licensed
NYC: 2 classrooms, 1500 square feet, 300 students and counting
New: Launched Chic Studios LA
All locations: Launched Content Studio and Chic pro Lab (students access to free space for content)
New: Launched Chic Studios Denver
2500 Students and counting
Over 150K+ fans and followers on all platforms, focus to grow the community and connect with artists and beauty enthusiasts
Launching an online platform and school for all things beauty education